Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Happy Birthday Party and a Deep Thought

Sometimes I think I am a very versatile guy. On one hand I attend full contri bevda bachelor party with a newspaper, namkeen with kate huye pyaz on top, a few beer and daroo bottles, and a couple of hopeless guys eager to swallow every last drop of alcohol they can. While on the other hand I attend a full fledged family happy birthday parties, with as much as nine families (ok, I usually don’t count, but there was nothing else to do), and kids of all possible ages.

It creates a kind of confidence in you, looking forward to a family life full of decency and veg jokes, that you just can’t. The mere aura of the room looks so enticing, that I wanted to eat a full large pizza, just to keep me busy so that people don’t sympathize with me. A few people did try to console me for my pathetic situation (that is, being a bachelor), but didn’t say more than “feeling bored, huh?”, watching me work all the way on my pizza. Although I did hear a few comments like, “Ha ha, you’re next!!”. But I figure its just their usual way to remind themselves again and again of their happy and fulfilled life, and pull more and more freedom out of people. Of course ;).

So what do you do when you get invited to such family parties? I usually get indulged in some deep thoughts like which beer to buy next, or when would we next go to a beach to see all those blondes taking sun bath. There is ample time to do that at such places, although I did had to pass on a few mature comments like, “yes, I’ll have one more drink”, with no reference to alcohol, and really great thoughts like, “Yes, investing in real state is the best”. Believe me.

And I don’t know what is it with family people eager to finish up everything they have at their place to eat. “Arrey, aur le lo thoda sa, nachi to bach jayega”. Arrey wo to apan bol nahi paya ki, “Aunty chinta mat karo, apan ghar le ke jayega”, nahi to people would tag me for a typical cheap bachelor forever, more because I called them aunty. I have never seen bachelors doing such stuff in a daroo party except may be for the alcohol they have. That too is not possible because alcohol is just never too much in a party, and so we are spared by such terrible thoughts of alcohol wastage or “alcohol abuse”.

And you automatically get promoted to an uncleji kind of guy with so many kids around. Kids were shouting “Uncleji”, and it really brought tears to my ears. I look myself in mirror, and I look like 15 year old kid with may be some extra fat here and there, but these kids break my heart.

With my neck deep in work these dayz, you know, I had to get out of that place right after finishing my pizza. Hey, don’t give me that look, I know what you are thinking … you’re thinking “Ha!” … ;)

But as I stepped out, I just couldn’t get the happy look at birthday girl’s face out of my head when she cut the cake and everyone sang the birthday song. I just wondered when would be the next time I can become so happy. And probably the last time I was so happy was when I was cutting that cake myself, with family, friends, colony kids and relatives from other cities used to come and sing Happy Birthday for me. They were awesome dayz. I wonder even if a trip to goa would give me that level of innocent happiness.

2 comments:

sedna said...

hi...hehehehehe...koool one !

this is the first one i've read of urs...n i liked it :)

by the way...u really shouldnt have said ...."investing in real state is the best" ......coz as far as i have heard, its "real estate" or something...lol

byebye uncleji!!

The Ghost said...

Hahaha... see, thats why I shouldn't be allowed to talk about such things.. :D

and Welcome to my blog... :)